Sustainability remains one of the hottest trends in countertops today, as consumers seek out stylish, durable products that incorporate recycled materials. While performance is key, today’s countertops are still expected to provide strong aesthetic value, with a growing demand for surfaces that offer a greater sense of depth and dimension.
Below are some of the hottest trends in countertops:
- Eco-friendly remains the buzzword for the day, with countertops made with recycled materials very much in vogue. There’s also an increasing interest in countertop products with green certifications, such as the certification offered by the GREENGUARD Environmental Institute, which tests products for off-gassing of volatile organic compounds in a number of different product categories.
- Granite remains popular, but both quartz and solid surface products are appealing to consumers for their durability, easy maintenance and wide variety of color and pattern choices.
- The breadth and scope of countertop materials continue to increase, with everything from hand-painted glass and metal to bamboo turning up in the kitchen.
- Mixing and matching of countertop surfaces remains a hot trend, with different materials being used as a way to maximize function and define different areas of the space aesthetically. Combining different materials also helps customers keep costs down while achieving the look they want.
- Color trends range from rich and warm to bright and bold, with growing demand for a look that is consistent, rich and less "noisy" than granite.
- For those who want something one-of-a-kind, a growing number of custom options are available where consumers can create a countertop that reflects their own unique personality